Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Rupture

Shoes, and subsequently feet, wet all day as the result of getting caught in a downpour on my walk to the train station this morning, I was beginning to feel a soreness in my throat and an overall existential gloom and early-week despair as I rode the train back home this evening. A young agitated man fidgeted in the seat in front of me. I read Alessandra Stanley's review of the Mad Men Season 6 finale. She is pretty much on the money, but I think she misses the core insight that creator Matthew Weiner is trying to impart: Familial rupture will fuck you up.

Speaking of rupture, I rallied from my slough of despond thanks to the sudden appearance on my iPod of DJ/rupture's Minesweeper Suite (2002). I even found the energy to make a rare Tuesday stop at the supermarket. Here's the cut that healed me -- Track B17, "Enemy/Up from the Underground":

No comments:

Post a Comment