Saturday, April 25, 2020

"Unfinished Business"

Marshawn Lynch, one of the few heroes remaining in the United States, has a small role in the third season of Westworld. Lynch, alongside Aaron Paul and Lena Waithe, plays an app-based contract criminal.

Seattle critic Charles Mudede evaluates Lynch's performance as follows:
Now, to ask if Lynch is a good actor or not is like asking if this cloud is good at being a cloud or not, or if that stream is good at being a stream or not. Lynch can be neither bad or good at being all that he can ever be, Lynch.
The third season of Westworld premiered a month after the Super Bowl. The Seattle Seahawks were knocked out in the divisional round, losing at Lambeau Field to the Green Bay Packers. Marshawn Lynch returned to the Seahawks after more than a year in retirement, scoring four touchdowns in three games. Lynch's motto for his return to the NFL was "Unfinished Business."

What a perfect motto it is. For life in general. So I wouldn't forget it, I did myself a favor and purchased the Beast Mode t-shirts

Coming out of the other side of the coronavirus -- not 100% but with enough chi to finally communicate here after three weeks away -- one of the great motivations to stay alive, to not give up, was the thought that there is unfinished business.

For starters, I couldn't foist on my sisters the responsibility of shoveling up the squalor of my life: tracking down my bank and brokerage accounts, figuring out what kind of insurance I kept, disposing of my books, etc.

It must have haunted my father, who died at the end of summer in 2018. He didn't get to his unfinished business. After his death, when my sisters and I were cleaning his house, preparing to put it on the market, we would come upon these little scraps of paper that he had left, notes to himself of ideas that had to be developed and projects that need to be completed.

We glanced at them, and, then, sadly, tossed them in the trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment