Wednesday, March 25, 2020

One Month of Plague

The big construction sites remain open in Seattle, as does the building where I work (because it houses a food bank on the first floor). I can still get a lunchtime coffee at the corner cafe. Not much if anything changed the first day following the statewide lockdown announced by Governor Jay Inslee.

I was the only one in the office all day, a day spent routing frantic calls from workers affected by the pandemic. Some were panicked by the prospect of a furlough with no income; others, by the fear of having to continue to report to work and risk exposure.

This is a tricky virus. We'll see how tenacious it is. I figure it has been present in King County since February. My guess is it takes about a month for the body to handle (or not). For those of us living in Seattle and its suburbs, we should be reaching the virus peak in the next week or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment