Saturday, April 19, 2014

Hippies vs. Punks: Pearls Before Swine's One Nation Underground


This morning will continue a pattern started with the last Hippies vs. Punks post (on Contact High with the Godz) -- a quick hitter on an important Hippie-era recording that I am exploring thanks to having recently read Lester Bangs' essay, "Do the Godz Speak Esperanto?"

I've listened to One Nation Underground (1967), Pearls Before Swine's debut on ESP-Disk, several mornings this week and I've got to say it has been a real treat. I seem to have found myself in almost a constant state of stress for the last month and partly thanks to listening to One Nation Underground I found that the state has almost entirely disappeared.

To me the record evokes an After Bathing at Baxter's (1967) psychedelia coupled with a flower Punk street corner Hippie rendition of Dylan's super-historical "gone electric" offerings: Bringing It All Back Home (1965), Highway 61 Revisited (1965) and Blonde on Blonde (1966).

One Nation Underground was recorded right before the Summer of Love and released three months before the Tet Offensive drove a stake through the heart of LBJ's Great Society. You would be hard pressed to find a better vehicle to transport you back to a time when the masses were cohering into Hippiedom. One Nation Underground is an amazing aural document, necessary listening, I think, for any serious student or dialectician who wants to understand how we ended up in our current predicament.

No comments:

Post a Comment