Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Third/Sister Lovers


I woke up this morning thinking that my state of mind, dumbstruck and forlorn, is matched by "Kangaroo." "Kangaroo" was a very big deal toward the end of my undergraduate years, as was the entire Third/Sister Lovers album on which it appears. Recorded in 1974 but not released until 1978, Third/Sister Lovers is the confused, amorphous, sophisticated final record of Big Star (though it featured only Alex Chilton and Jody Stephens). It is a perfect record for literate youth about to be disgorged into the broader brutal world. Spaced out, sad, adult but childlike, this is the album more than any other that captures the vibe of young people who have no place to go, no terra firma.

I am reliving this state of mind because I recently saw a girlfriend who I haven't seen in 25 years, a time when Third/Sister Lovers was a very big deal for me. Seeing my friend again brought up a lot emotional sediment. The mind is a physical, organic thing. Things get buried. And when they are unearthed, disruption and disorientation result.

No comments:

Post a Comment