Monday, September 24, 2018

Labour's Alleged Anti-Semitism

Surprisingly the latest issue of Harper's contains  a "Corbyn is an anti-Semite" feature (see "Among Britain’s Anti-Semites" by Tanya Gold). It's a professionally written tendentious hit piece that manages urbanity but nonetheless falls flat, as can be gleaned in this exchange between Gold and Jackie Walker:
Later [Jackie Walker] told me, “Presenting anti-­Semitism as the almost total focus of racism in this country in the last two years is feeding into antiblack racism and Islamophobia. Why aren’t you concerned about that?” What makes her think that I am not concerned? “What I perceive is that a minority with a lot more voice than blacks or Muslims have have taken up all the space.” So there is a limited space for justice in the world, and Jews took it all.
I told her that I thought the people in Parliament Square were frightened. She replied, “How do you think people of African descent feel? How do you think I as a black person feel when you say that to me? When I look at the Jewish community I see a community of relative privilege and power. How do you think that makes me feel? It makes me feel like shit.” She continued, “That [black] guy three weeks ago died in police custody. When did the last Jewish person die in police custody?” I don’t know. I have no corpse to present in evidence.
Gold's article fails to mention any of Israel's controversies -- settlements, Gaza embargo, bombing Syria, terrorizing Iran -- and proves the left's point that any criticism of the Israeli state is now reflexively greeted with cries of anti-Semitism.

Robert Stevens in "Blairites and Tories share platform calling for Corbyn’s removal" explains why the mainstream media is obsessed with the Corbyn's alleged anti-Semitism:
With Theresa May’s government tottering on the brink of collapse as tensions deepen over Brexit, with a scheduled exit from the EU less than 200 days away, the ruling elite fear the social and political implications of a Corbyn government coming to power with the support of millions opposed to austerity, militarism and war. [Tory MP Chris] Green gave voice to these fears, warning his audience that at last year’s general election, Labour “came within 20,000 votes around the country of being able to form a coalition government and Jeremy Corbyn becoming prime minister.

No comments:

Post a Comment