Wednesday, January 10, 2018

There Should Be a U.S. Vegan Party

Among the general public there is a certain kind of disdain for the vegan. I think deep down it has to do with guilt. Most people know that if confronted with butchering an animal in order to eat they would take a pass and choose instead to forage for nuts and greens; so to continue to eat meat is morally lazy.

I went vegan several years back after seeing Noah (2014) by Darren Aronofsky. The main selling point for veganism -- at least what I tell people -- is that I never get sick. After I relate this, I'm usually given the stink eye. People don't want to be told that there is a relatively simple, easy path to personal empowerment that they are ignoring out of sloth.

Now there is scientific proof that a plant-based diet improves one's immune system. Read Carl Zimmer's "Fiber Is Good for You. Now Scientists May Know Why."

There should be an American Vegan Party (there was a Vegetarian Party) to organize around the politics of food and champion a plant-based diet. If only we lived in a free society where party formation and ballot access weren't so restricted.

No comments:

Post a Comment