Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Hot Weather + "Poor Black Mattie"


A cornucopia of feminine flesh tonight on Capitol Hill. Temperatures above 90 °F the small dresses come out and the naked legs and arms multiple. Chests seem larger. Skin is territory ruled by youth. A few older women, looking surprisingly good, were out sporting t-shirts and short shorts; but for the most part, the evening sunshine belonged to the young ladies.

I was feeling pretty good walking up the hill after work in the heat looking at all the pretty women. My problem foot appears to finally be on the mend, and a lower-calf pull on the other leg that I sustained in a slow Sunday morning jog around the neighborhood artificial-pitch soccer field might not preclude a Friday 4th-of-July run of some sort. And on the iPod R.L. Burnside sang "Poor Black Mattie":
Poor Black Mattie ain't got a change in clothes
Girl got drunk, close that door
Poor Black Mattie ain't got change o' clothes
Girl got drunk, throwed her clothes outdoor
Goin' to Memphis, see the World's Fair
Reason I'm goin', baby, there 
Goin' to Memphis, see the World's Fair
Reason I'm goin', know my baby there
Need no heater fireplace by my bed
Women I got cherry red 
Need no heater fireplace by my bed
Woman I got, keep me cherry red
Woman I got, keep me cherry red

No comments:

Post a Comment