Saturday, April 27, 2013

"I Found a Reason" + "I Found That Essence Rare" + "I Get Lifted"

It's cloudy and dark today. But yesterday was sunny and warm. At noon I explored some of the green space to the south of the Federal Detention Center (FDC) on 200th. Thursday and Wednesday I walked down to Des Moines Creek Park which is about a quarter mile to the west of the FDC. The park is a pleasant paved walking trail. I wasn't able to go very far because it takes over twenty minutes to get to the trail head from the local. I walked for about five minutes before having to turn around and come back so as not to be late returning to work.

Passing the FDC today some of its residents (does a detention center merit "residents" or "inmates"?) were outside doing some groundskeeping. I nodded hello. At that moment an amazing triple play commenced on the iPod. Here's another paean to the alphabetic song sort. 

First, "I Found a Reason," by the Velvet Underground from Loaded (1970). Do undergraduates still listen to VU? When I went to school it seemed to be an unofficial part of the curriculum:


Next came "I Found That Essence Rare"off Gang of Four's super-historical Entertainment! (1979), the Punk/Post-Punk album I've probably listened to more often than any other (to which I owe my friend Oliver a debt of gratitude for it was he who one day handed me a used copy while we were browsing Rasputin's long ago and told me, "You should really have this"):


Rounding things out, George McCrae's "I Get Lifted" from his 1974 debut album, Rock Your Baby:

No comments:

Post a Comment