Monday, April 29, 2013

Teen Angels' Daddy


I found this album, Daddy, by Teen Angels, off which "Rawhead" is the first track, in a used CD bin in a bookstore. I immediately snatched it up because the lead singer and bass player (I believe she played the bass) used to serve me coffee every afternoon at Sit 'n' Spin in Belltown. She was very pleasant and looked great in hot pants. Her hair was always a different color of Kool-Aid before such a thing was commonplace. This would've been a little before Daddy came out. When my girlfriend and I first got into town and were staying at the YMCA -- this would've been late summer 1994 -- we saw the Teen Angels packing their equipment into the Crocodile on 2nd Avenue. We were eating dinner there that night. The Gourds were playing as well. Too bad we didn't stay to see the show.

But because of that evening I recognized her when I went into Sit 'n' Spin. There I would jot notes and drink fifty-cent cups of coffee during my lunch hour. It was a decade later that I came across the used copy of Daddy. I played it a few times, but it didn't really speak to me. I couldn't differentiate anything -- the songs, the guitar parts, the beats.

Now I think differently. I have it loaded on my iPod and whenever one of the tracks off Daddy appear in the alphabetical sequence I favor in listening to songs I am always instantaneously refreshed and more focused. Think of L7, but a lot more Punk than Grunge. Daddy is still available on the Sub Pop Records website. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment