Saturday, April 20, 2013

Indestructible Hulk #6

In Indestructible Hulk #6 the legendary Walt Simonson replaces Leinil Francis Yu. Mark Waid continues to script an interesting Bannercentric narrative. Below is a scan of the final page of Indestructible Hulk #6 where Hulk improbably wields Thor's mythic hammer, Mjölnir:


I have to say for the purposes of Waid's science-heavy storyline I much prefer the artwork of Yu. The recent work of both Neal Adams, another legendary artist, and Simonson is too cereal box cartoon sweet for me. Penciling must be a young man's profession. I think back to when Kirby returned to Marvel in the late 1970's and worked on Captain America and The Invaders. As a kid in junior high school I couldn't stand the stuff. It was too flat and blocky. I stopped reading anything that Kirby did, which is truly shameful on my part.

Recently, last October, the day after going door to door trolling for labor votes prior to the election, I read the 1999 trade paperback Manhunter: The Special Edition which collects the Manhunter 8-page backups that appeared in the "100-Page Super Spectacular" Detective Comics of the early 1970's. Written by Archie Goodwin with art by a young Walt Simonson, Manhunter blew me away as a kid. It seemed real and gigantic, a perfect reflection of the rottenness of Watergate America. Below is the cover, by the great Jim Aparo, of the issue where the Goodwin-Simonson Manhunter bites the dust:

No comments:

Post a Comment