Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The Ballroom's Futuristic Cover of "Baby, Please Don't Go"


One afternoon taking a lunchtime nap lying on the floor in a darkened carpeted file room I heard a cover of the blues standard "Baby, Please Don't Go." I thought I was listening to a recording of some new, cutting edge bohemian folktronic artist from one of the many small-label compilations I had recently synced to my iPod.

It turns out it was from 1967 and the band was The Ballroom, one of the many mid-1960s projects of Curt Boettcher. Known for his sunshine pop, Boettcher worked with Gary Usher on The Notorious Byrd Brothers (1968) and Sagittarius.

The Ballroom's cover of "Baby, Please Don't Go" -- way ahead of its time -- can be found on disk three of Where the Action Is! Los Angeles Nuggets 1965–1968.

No comments:

Post a Comment