Tuesday, February 24, 2015

"Willie Mays Aikens" Muttered To Myself After Waking


For some reason I woke up last night after being asleep for only 30 minutes. The name on my lips was Willie Mays Aikens, the former Kansas City Royals slugger who served 14 years in prison for selling cocaine (and possessing a loaded gun at the same time).

I have absolutely no idea how Willie Mays Aikens dropped into my consciousness at that moment. I think I must have been dreaming about the time that George Brett went apeshit during a game at Yankee Stadium in 1983, what has come to be known as the "pine tar incident." That year Aikens had a career-high 23 home runs for the Royals.


Who knows what sort of neural chemistry belched forth that memory, and from that memory to the name "Willie Mays Aikens." It is something akin to magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment