Saturday, December 21, 2013

Moved by Kid Creole and the Coconuts

I finally made it on a jog a little before noon this first day of winter. Usually I am out before 8 AM on Saturday, but today I woke late and got started on entering into Quicken a backlog of monthly statements from my brokerage accounts in anticipation of the approaching end of year.

On my iPod I have loaded the soundtrack from Downtown 81, the underground film starring Jean-Michel Basquiat wandering around hipster Post-Punk Lower Manhattan. (I have posted one other time on Downtown 81.)

While starting up the backstretch in a light mist, feeling much better than I anticipated since I have significantly reduced the amount of running I do during the week, I listened to "Mr. Softee" by Kid Creole and the Coconuts.


I have heard the song several times and took note of it before, but today I was particularly struck by its edginess and funkiness, sort of a Punk discotheque sheet-of-flame on the pitfalls of "hooking up." Kid Creole and the Coconuts' heyday was the early 1980s, as the clip from Saturday Night Live proves.

No comments:

Post a Comment