Thursday, December 31, 2020

Super Bowl LV Prediction

Going into this National Football League season I assumed that television ratings would be excellent due to the pandemic disruption of all sports leagues and subsequent fan demand for regular programming. That's why I was surprised a few weeks back to hear that television ratings were down significantly this year, meaning that the NFL's hold on U.S. consciousness appears to be waning again.

I've tracked this issue over the years because the National Football League, with the rise of the Internet giants and the diminishment of both broadcast television and Hollywood, is really the last cultural commons in the United States, and if the last cultural commons is trending towards spoliation we need to accept this as evidence that big change is underway.

There are plenty of reasons why the NFL is tanking, but I am interested in what it augurs. I think it's pretty clear the direction we're headed because we've already arrived: political stasis and constant civil conflict. The two major political parties are imploding, and to my mind this is something long overdue.

In any event, I've appreciated games played to empty stadiums this year. The absence of cheerleaders and obscene fans is a relief. The excellence of the athletes is on even greater display.

Week 17 approaches, the last week of the regular season. Green Bay travels to Chicago to lock down homefield throughout the playoffs. I have to say that of late I have been greatly impressed by the Packers. How they humbled the Titans in the snow of Lambeau was an incontrovertible display of strength.

So heading into the playoffs I have to pick the Packers to go to the Super Bowl. 

In the AFC can anyone beat the Chiefs? 

Yes, if Mahomes has a bad day. 

Las Vegas still favors Kansas City to repeat. I think that's right, though I wouldn't be surprised if a team like the Ravens or the Steelers pull off an upset.

The Super Bowl in February, Super Bowl LV, will be a repeat of the first Super Bowl, but this time the Chiefs will win.

No comments:

Post a Comment