Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Sunday Astral Weeks Immersion

This Easter we have a sunny day here in the Emerald City; it pushing 60°F before noon. I went out for a run this morning. The cherry blossom trees and crocus are in bloom and the streets were clear of vehicle traffic, though there were plenty of joggers.

As I set out, Bob Dylan's "Solid Rock," a great Easter song, off Saved (1980), played on my iPod. (I'd post it here, but unfortunately most of Dylan's songs are blocked on YouTube, no doubt at the behest of Sony Music Entertainment.)

By the time I finished the run my iPod nano touch had died. Battery failure. The touch screen had gone dark last week, but it still managed to work; I guess that's an indication of approaching battery failure. Since I begin a long train commute on Tuesday, I promptly ordered a 7th Generation nano touch on Amazon to be delivered tomorrow. Can't be without music.

I'm working through the Van Morrison ouevre this Easter. So far I've listened to Irish Heartbeat (1988), and Astral Weeks, both the 1968 original and Astral Weeks: Live at the Hollywood Bowl (2009).

My favorite cut off Astral Weeks, an album I've been listening to just about my entire life (my father was a Van Morrison devotee), is track #3, "Sweet Thing."

No comments:

Post a Comment