Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Capitol Hill Gentrification

Gentrification proceeds apace on Capitol Hill. Usually I stick to 12th Avenue exclusively on my to and fro work. In the last year it has become a hub of construction. Between East Denny and East Pine there are three good-size sites that look to be residential and mixed-used development; sidewalks are blocked for lengthy stretches.

But tonight, walking back from Pioneer Square where I picked up my race packet for Sunday's St. Paddy's Dash, I decided to treat myself to Taqueria Guaymas on Broadway. It recently moved from it's location on Broadway and East Union to one block north between Pike and Pine. Working the register tonight was a guy who I recognize from many years of patronizing his establishment; he said that the landlord raised the rent $1,300 a month at the old spot, which had a lot of seating and big windows. There's a Chipotle there now. When I walked by it was chock full of young women students.

The guy said while his new location is much smaller (it's tiny), there's a constant stream of foot traffic; he said even though there's just one block difference between the old and new location, you would never know based on the number of passersby. I said it must be due to the closeness of Seattle Central Community College and being smack dab between Pike and Pine.

Walking home on Broadway past Seattle Central and the post office I realized that nearly all the old Hippie places have been demolished. The big wipe-out occurred on the east side of Broadway between Howell and John when the Capitol Hill light rail station began development several years ago; that side of Broadway had lots of "Head" vibe; all gone now. There's still some independent, non-corporate commerce to be found on the blocks of Broadway around Thomas Street near my apartment building, but they're disappearing fast and will probably be completely gone in a few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment