Monday, January 7, 2013

RG3's Knee

I read the frontpage of the newspaper this morning and then skipped to the op-ed page and read that and then did the dishes and got ready to get into the shower.  As I was doing that I did like I always do and folded the paper back into the blue plastic bag that it's delivered in and put it in my shoulder bag to read at lunch and in the process of doing that I saw the sports section which I had missed because it was nested in the business page.  It was an entire half-page color photo of RG3 buckling his knee as he reaches down to try to collect that lousy snap.  I don't know why it hit me the way it did but it hit me right in the solar plexus. I don't know if it's just a case of projection on my part but RG3 seems like such a decent, chivalrous guy -- a real Percival in our fallen age -- I had a moment of, "Why go on? Why keep trying? What's the point?"  Job in the whirlwind.  At work I saw on Google News that the MRI was inconclusive, that he might not have torn the ACL.  I hope it's not a tear and he doesn't have to have surgery. He's not built like Adrian Peterson who came back from major knee surgery in less than a year and who looks like a comic book superhero.  RG3 is more catlike.

My thoughts on the Falcons are don't bet against Seattle.  Even though Atlanta is overdue for some playoff success the Seahawks are ascendent.  My only worry is dealing with a dome.  We're 1-2 this season in domes -- both loses we should've won; we were ahead in the fourth quarter only for the defense to let down.  Matt Ryan the Falcons QB can put it up there and he has a couple really good receivers -- Julio Jones and Roddy White. The Falcons can run the ball too with Michael Turner and Jacquizz Rodgers.  It's going to be tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment