Thursday, November 13, 2014

MDC Tonight!

I went to bed last night at 7:30. When I woke up around 2 AM I was struck by the thought of how wonderful sleep is. We Homo sapiens are these relatively large animals with big brains who love to sleep. We crawl into a soft warm dark pile of cloth, and we construct a separate existence for ourselves.

That is why it is unlikely I will go to see MDC tonight, even though the show is at bar no more than two blocks from my apartment building. As you can see from the flyer above, which I pried off a utility pole on my way to the train station this morning, the gig starts at 9 PM.

Previously I mentioned that I had been planning on doing a Hippies vs. Punks post devoted to the Rock Against Reagan concert at the 1984 Democratic National Convention in San Francisco. Dead Kennedys were the headliners, but MDC stole the show. After seeing them perform there I went out and purchased their album, the eponymous Millions of Dead Cops (1981). I even used the lyrics to "John Wayne Was a Nazi" in a Rhetoric course for which I was a teaching assistant. The students loved it.


If I had an ounce of vitality left in my bones I would go tonight. But I am abstemious and early to bed these days, a worker in the office mine, a rat running a pitiful race, struggling each day to complete the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment