Monday, September 15, 2014

Flyin' the Flannel


Good short interview with Mike Watt. He roams quickly and freely over many topics -- the story behind the cover photo of Double Nickels on the Dime (1984), Punk and the origin of the flannel shirt look, Richard Hell, etc. But what struck me is the importance of Flyin' the Flannel (1991). Watt's father was dying of cancer while fIREHOSE was in the studio recording the album, the band's major-label debut; the Gulf War was raging.

That was an important time for me as well. I was back in New York City, abandoned by my wife, street fighting, drinking. Then, at the time Flyin' in the Flannel is released in April, I met my girlfriend Mary and I stabilized.

I have to get me a copy of Flyin' the Flannel. I had it on cassette tape, which was played repeatedly back in the day. "Losers, Boozers and Heroes." What a song!

"He's second in line/But he don't try no harder."

No comments:

Post a Comment