Sunday, August 31, 2014

Something to Hüsker


My holiday weekend of SST Records remembrances continues. Today after a morning heavy on jazz -- Gerald Cleaver's Detroit (2008) and Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers' Ugetsu (1963) , to name a few -- I settled in and listened to Hüsker Dü's output on SST, minus Everything Falls Apart (1983), which I don't have and never owned on vinyl.

When Zen Arcade came out the summer of 1984 it blew everyone away. We hadn't heard anything like it. It was like a faster, edgier, heavier, ballsier, more intense R.E.M. Listening to "I'll Never Forget You" now (see above) I am reminded why we were so attracted to the Hüskers. Superb!

But the song that had us smitten, at least me and my cousin Colin, was the fourth cut on the first side of the double album. "Chartered Trips" wowed:

No comments:

Post a Comment