Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Woods


I have to be out the door in twenty minutes to run a road race of 5,000 meters, which should be humbling because I am dealing with the aftereffects of a foot injury, and I am therefore not properly trained up. In any event, before going to bed last night, I watched this video of Sleater-Kinney performing "Entertain" on The Henry Rollins Show.

"Entertain" was a track off the band's final album, The Woods (2005). The Woods is a fin de siècle record. The nation was better off united against Bush than bamboozled by Barack. But we didn't know that at the time.

At the time I was maintaining two girlfriends simultaneously. I would often listen to The Woods on a Sony Walkman as I walked home from work, more often times than not on my way to meet one the girlfriends. The Woods is an album of great depth and a lot of ballsy noise. The ladies from the Pacific Northwest tied things off with a lot of style. It is a record worthy of study.

No comments:

Post a Comment