Saturday, May 10, 2014

"How Am I Different": A Bachelorette Manifesto

Road racing season is upon us. It would probably be more appropriate to call them "fun runs." But they're timed, and a lot of people take them seriously. The last two weeks I have completed 5Ks in times that are some of my poorer efforts in the last four years. It's my lack of training due to an onerous daily work commute.

I'm maintaining a minimal level of fitness, which I consider to be the ability to run three miles in eight-minute-per-mile pace. But since the last two weekends I've been running 5Ks, I haven't been able to work in my baseline 8-mile Lake Union Loop. This morning was my first time running the loop in three weeks. It started well. But after the outward-bound half, I became quite meek. Then on the final steep climb up Capitol Hill back home, I found myself resorting to the old-man shuffle. Fortunately, I received a sonic boost from Bettye LaVette. Her cover of Aimee Mann's "How Am I Different" shuffled on the iPod, giving me the physical courage to finish with a little bit of dignity.


What a manifesto this song is!
I've got one more question
                  Before I pack
When you fuck it up later
                  Do I get my money back?
I wish every bachelorette would listen to LaVette's I've Got My Own Hell To Raise (2005). I think she would be more confident in her solitariness.

No comments:

Post a Comment