Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A Portland Sonic Morning


As mentioned previously, there is something wrong with my hard drive. So every time my computer goes to sleep after a period of inactivity, rather than going into sleep mode it crashes. This creates problems in the operating system. I avoid the problem by keeping my Amazon Cloud Player up and running at all times, merely switching off my Harman Kardon speakers when I leave the apartment in the morning for work, and when I go to bed at night.

Besides the advantage of avoiding damaging crashes, keeping a large library of music constantly playing offers up the opportunity for random insight, reflection and appreciation.

This morning, for no reason in particular, I decided to stay in bed instead of getting up and reading the newspaper.

When I finally did rise for that first cup of coffee, I switched on the Harman Kardons and was greeted by Sleater-Kinney's "#1 Must Have," a song off All Hands on the Bad One (2000). Of the last three records put out by Sleater-Kinney, All Hands on the Bad One is definitely the weakest. It is not a bad album. It is just that One Beat (2002) and The Woods (2005) are so strong.

Following "#1 Must Have" came Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks, "1% of One," which is probably my favorite song by the group. A nine-plus minute masterpiece, "1% of One" can be found on Pig Lib (2003). I see that Malkmus and the Jicks have a new album out, Wig Out at Jagbags (2014). I'll have to give it a listen.

Both bands hail(ed) from Portland, OR.

No comments:

Post a Comment