Thursday, April 3, 2014

"Repetition"


I have been thinking about this song lately, "Repetition," by Indie Boston band Dumptruck. The song appears on D is for Dumptruck (1983), the band's debut.

I borrowed a copy of D is for Dumptruck from my Village Voice-reading buddy and musical mentor Oliver. I copied it onto a cassette tape and played it often during the lower-division days of my undergraduate years. Even at 19 I knew that repetition was what made society tick.

Now each day as I perform identical routines -- the morning coffee, the banana, the brushing of teeth and shaving of whiskers and soaping of loins; the train rides and bus rides; waving goodbye to the young lady on her way to clean rooms at the Comfort Inn next door to my office building -- I appreciate once again the essential nature of "Repetition."

No comments:

Post a Comment