Wednesday, March 19, 2014

"There Stands the Glass"



Last week I intended to post briefly on the Ted Hawkins version of the Webb Pierce hit "There Stands the Glass." During my last great romance with alcohol, which took place around the millennium (2000 to 2002), I enjoyed listening to The Next Hundred Years (1994).

I thought about "There Stands the Glass" towards the end of last week because I was empty, spent, adrift (I've been grimacing a lot lately) and a nice cold drink sounded refreshing. The desert of life spent as an office worker is immense and desolate.

I righted myself without recourse to alcohol thanks to the tried and true power of the will. I dutifully executed the chores on my punch list for the weekend -- grocery shopping, laundry, march for $15/hr., road race -- and I was redeemed.

No comments:

Post a Comment