Sunday, September 29, 2013

"Puttin' People on the Moon" + Bite of Broadview 5K + Thomas Edsall's NYT Blog


Just back from a jog this morning, broken tree branches and rain puddles everywhere from yesterday's storm, I was treated to "Puttin' People on the Moon" from the Drive-By Truckers' fifth album, The Dirty South (2004).

I went out this morning in order to process some of the lactic acid in my legs from the Bite of Broadview 5K I ran Saturday morning. The Bite of Broadview is a little neighborhood festival in North Seattle. Christ the King Catholic Church serves as the hub for the event. I ran the race last year and enjoyed it. It's a fast course with a couple of hills tossed in. The vibe of the run is distinctly neighborhoody, non-big city. It's refreshing. Despite the rain and wind, I improved on my best 5K time by almost one minute.

One item of housekeeping. As it approaches certainty that there is going to be a government shutdown this week, an excellent blog to keep an eye on is the online column Thomas Edsall writes for the New York Times Opinionator. I think he captures what's going on with the two national political parties better than anyone right now. Economic inequality as the driving force of our current political system is a constant in Edsall's Opinionator pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment