Monday, August 26, 2013

Seattle Marathon Association 10K

For tonight's installment of "Remember! Work!" a non-work story: a description of the 10K race -- my first of the year -- that I ran Saturday morning.

I started out feeling great. The course was fast. I cooked along the first 5000 meters at 7.5-minute-mile pace. They didn't call out splits at the three-mile marker, but they did at mile one and mile two. Mile one was 7:40. Mile two was 15:00. So for my 5K time I probably ran a personal best, a 23-and-change. 

Then shortly after mile three I blew up. I was running, keeping pace, with a beautiful Asian woman with whom I had chatted at the beginning of the race. She was shooting for a 48, at least something under 50. At mile one she said that she thought we were going too fast. She said that she would continue to follow from behind. I was feeling good. I said, "Good." Then somewhere shortly after mile three she blew by me without a word and was gone. I struggled through mile four and mile five. The last mile I got my act together a bit. I finished with a 50:43, official time; 8:10 pace. I'd say my friend -- judging by where she was at the mile five marker, which was the last time I saw her, way up ahead -- ran a 48, maybe a 47.

Last year I ran a 51:46. A full minute improvement is better than I expected, and good enough considering that I was not properly trained up for this event. I need to be able to run a long run during the work week, something I can't do now because of my commute. My best 10K is the Husky Dawg Dash from October of 2011 when I was doing a lot of those long runs after work. I ran a 48 then I think.

I suffered tremendously Saturday morning. Miles four and five were a real test. My monkey mind was chattering away -- no, howling -- "Stop! You can't do this! What are you doing! No!" -- on and on. At a certain point I have to remember -- in a more timely fashion -- to stop resisting and just let the pain in. I did that finally with maybe a half-mile left in the race. Then it wasn't so bad.

I mention this tale of the 10K in a "Remember! Work!" post because it's vitally important to have something real in which to immerse oneself outside of work, something that can provide a counterpoint to the daily drudgery and soulless repetition of the rat race. Running road races is perfect medicine. It forces one to train, to stay healthy and disciplined -- to incorporate pain in one's life and not to avoid it. The pain of the race followed by the pleasure once it's finished puts all of one's woes in perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment