Monday, June 17, 2013

Silence + "Coffin for Head of State, Pt. 2"

My Monday evening contemplation of work presents the following thought for your consideration: The importance of silence.

The more you talk at work the more likely it is that something you say will be held against you somewhere down the line.

So I am attempting to refocus my energies on keeping my mouth shut. This does not mean being unpleasant or icy. I converse when addressed, and I engage people when I feel like I have something that needs to be said. But I am trying not to babble and interject and fill the bullpen area where I work with monkey-mind chatter. I have even placed a post-it note that I can see on my way out the front door of my apartment in the morning. The note reads, "Silence."

The musical immersion from this past weekend was The Best Best of Fela Kuti, a double disk released in 2000. Tremendous. It can be listened to repeatedly. You'll find yourself floating in a placental fluid. Here's "Coffin for Head of State":

No comments:

Post a Comment