Sunday, June 9, 2013

Cloud Atlas: Be Prepared to Suffer


I started late yesterday afternoon. I had stepped out and purchased a medium cheese pizza at the neighborhood Pagliacci. A movie that's close to three hours in length, as Cloud Atlas is, requires nutrition.

Not since The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey have I suffered so. And as with The Hobbit, I was unable to finish Cloud Atlas. I made it 90 minutes in and then had to throw in the towel from sheer exhaustion. Following six separate stories over six different time periods, watching spiritless acting (I found the performances of Halle Berry and Tom Hanks embarrassing) and having to deal with the quick breaks between plotlines, it's hard to establish any kind of connection to the movie. What were the Wachowskis and Tom Twyker thinking? Are they purposely alienating their audience?

I slept for four hours and then got up and sat through another hour. I now have around 30 minutes left to go. I'll finish up tonight. But my advice is don't waste your time with this film. Some of the futuristic Neo Seoul stuff is interesting, probably because it taps into the Wachowskis' The Matrix trilogy, and the San Francisco 1973 investigative reporter plot was decent. But if you're looking for a movie with multiple plotlines that addresses time consciousness and identity, stick with Christopher Nolan's Inception (2010); it's an incomparably better picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment