Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Helmet's "In the Meantime"

My only moments of true relaxation -- tiny patches of fleeting bliss -- come when I'm en route, either when I'm on the train or waiting for the bus. Last week I listened to Helmet's "In the Meantime," the lead track off their 1992 album, Meantime. This album represented a highwater mark for underground rock'n'roll bands cashing in, a trend initiated by Sonic Youth when they released Goo in 1990 with DGC.

Two years is a long time. The Great Barbeque that Goo kicked off culminates with Meantime, a slick, soulless but quite good record which I dutifully purchased long ago the summer it first appeared. Now for some reason when I see young men in my neighborhood carrying their six-packs of good beer home for an evening of R&R I think of "In the Meantime":

No comments:

Post a Comment