Monday, May 27, 2013

A Life Spent Being Where You Don't Want to Be

Last week from Monday through Thursday the office manager was absent from the office. She was out of the state on business. It was pleasant when she was gone.

When she returned on Friday she was in a foul mood. She was so abrupt in her manner, I wondered if I done something wrong. Then after a little thought I realized that this is just the way it is. She obviously didn't want to be there; had probably thought she would have the day off. Instead, there she was on a Friday, no doubt fielding complaints and absorbing punishment. So naturally she passed it on down the line to us, the underlings.

She is actually a good office manager, and I consider myself loyal to her. Sadly, in the workplace it is by and large considered permissible behavior to subject one's staff to the tempests of one's moods. It is all part of being a competitor in the rat race.

No comments:

Post a Comment