Thursday, March 7, 2013

PAC Problems

Last night I walked out of my monthly political action committee (PAC) meeting. The issue that set me off has to do with reporting to the State's Public Disclosure Commission (PDC). My local union has for a long time adhered to a position so strict -- namely,  that no union dues can be spent on anything political, whether contributions to candidates or a mailing to membership saying contact your legislator -- that it could qualify as a Chamber of Commerce wet dream.

A couple weeks back, knowing full well that this strict view was not supported by the law, I solicited an opinion from one of the staff at the PDC; this guy said, Yes; it is permissible to pay for a PAC mailing out of the local's general fund. I informed the Secretary Treasurer who informed the bookkeeper. Then the bookkeeper pushed back; she said that it is not consistent with literature produced internally saying no dues for politics. This caused the Secretary Treasurer to go to the guy I talked with at the PDC and get him to backtrack a little. Apparently his position became, Yes, you can do it; but you really shouldn't. The Secretary Treasurer went with the "you really shouldn't" portion of the interpretation.

And last night I got blindsided. No heads up, "Come prepared to talk about disclosure law." The woman with whom I work, who does all the disclosure filings for IBEW local and who knows that general fund money can flow freely to a political action committee, was not there; she had something else to do. So when the fait accompli was delivered by the Secretary Treasurer accompanied by the Business Manager for support, after a few semi-heated rounds back and forth, I walked out.

I have a finite amount of chi left. For the last year I've poured a fair share of energy into the committee only to be met with obstruction at every turn. Despite this, results have been produced. I'd guess a twenty-five percent increase in membership and a vibrant core group. The PAC is no longer a toy that hosts an auction twice a year.

I went through the same thing with the Green Party. Eventually, when infighting is always consuming your time, it is best to walk away. Unless you've got others who will stand in the gap with you. If you don't, if it's a one-man show, it's best not to burn yourself out. I know; I've done it.

No comments:

Post a Comment