Tuesday, March 26, 2013

"Ohio" + Plastic Paper Clips from the 1980s

I thought I had finally finished my box transport and shelving project today only to find out at 3 PM that I've got a big day ahead of me tomorrow. There turns out to be a closet, a large closet, in the business manager's office filled with boxes of documents that need to be labeled, added to the database, transported to the new building and then shelved. I'd say I'm looking at 30 more boxes.

Today I savored pulling what I thought were the last files out of their banker boxes and placing them on the metal shelving. Modest Mouse's "Ohio" played on the iPod (my touch screen has gone dark, but it still works):


I forgot how good their first album is. I see that Christgau gave This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About (1996) an A-minus.

One of the joys of my job is finding treasures secreted away for decades in banker boxes. I found a pristine envelope filled with colored plastic paperclips that used to be popular in the 1980's. It provided a window on what the future looked like in the past:


Along with the obsolete colored plastic paperclips was an excellent little brochure on fleas put out in 1985 by Washington State Department of Social & Health Services:



Why did the business representative have a flea pamphlet in his papers? Maybe there was a grievance filed by a union member being forced to work in a flea-invested environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment