Friday, February 1, 2013

I'm with the San Francisco 49ers

Here comes the (Super Bowl) Sun(day). Sitting in Pratt Park this afternoon during the noon hour, for the first time in so long that I can't remember the last time I sat on the bench facing south and soaked up the sun, on my iPod shuffled Stereolab's "Blips, Drips, and Strips." Suddenly a moment of perfection.


Super Bowl Sunday is the closest we come in the United States to a national celebration. Forget the Fourth of July. Super Bowl Sunday is our winter revival. So you would think that Ray Lewis is going to Bible-thump his way to a Ravens victory. But you would be wrong. "There is nothing new under the sun." But there will be something new beneath the lights of the Superdome, and his name is Colin Kaepernick.

In the spirit of Montana the young Kaepernick will lead San Francisco to its sixth Vince Lombardy Trophy. You think Ed Reed is going to outfox the 49ers Adonis?  I don't think so. Yes, Torrey Smith and Anquan Boldin will have some success against the 49ers secondary. But does it add up to 28 points? That's what I think the Ravens need to top Kaepernick, Gore, Davis, Crabtree and LaMichael James. I don't think Baltimore gets there. I think the Ravens will get close, and I think -- I hope -- it's going to be an excellent game. May the best team win. Allahu Akbar.

No comments:

Post a Comment