Monday, December 10, 2012

Walking Dead Season 3 Halfway Point

I found out just now that Walking Dead Season 3 is not going to air again until February, which, if I remember correctly, happened last year as well -- the season was split in half with a couple months hiatus in the middle.

Why is the show so popular?  The season three premiere was the most-watched basic cable drama telecast in history. 

Season three is distinctly superior to the first two; it offers a richer action-adventure narrative.  During the first two seasons I often asked myself, "Why am I watching this?"  But watch I did.  And I can speculate why.  I think the depiction of a post-apocalyptic landscape free of electronics and background noise appeals to us subconsciously.  (Loud sounds attract the zombies who sometimes travel in herds.  So silence is golden.)  Season two in particular was very quiet.  No background music at all, just a lot of melodramatic dialogue between the survivors on an old farm in the rural South.

I think a deeply quiet world populated by perambulating corpses is the dream that has captivated our post-9/11, post-recession collective imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment